Thursday, January 10, 2013

2012 - IN REVIEW: BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT




TWIXT

I’ve already gone into slight detail in my top ten worst films list as to why Francis Ford Coppola’s “Twixt” is so bad, but the fact that it was one of my most anticipated films of 2011 is the reason that it has ultimately become my biggest disappointment of 2012.  My reasons for thinking this film was going to be gold are obvious: first it is a Francis Ford Coppola film and second it was him tackling my favourite genre which is horror.  The last time Coppola entered the world of horror he gave us his awesome adaptation of “Bram Stoker’s Dracula”, so I assumed that his next venture in the genre would be just as good or if not at least something interesting or different.  Well, it was certainly different with its ridiculous and nonsical plot that has to do with a series of murders in a small town, a novelist who dreams of these crimes, a ghost who wants to help the novelist in his dreams and of course there is Edgar Allan Poe.  Coppola also infused the story with personal elements from his own life such as a character dying from a boating accident (which sadly is what happened to his own son) but none of it adds up to anything.  To make matters worse, the majority of the performances by the actors are terrible, and as I have mentioned numerous times now, the cinematography is just awful and flat.  “Twixt” was sadly a train-wreck from the beginning right through until the very unsatisfying conclusion.  In hindsight, I feel that my own heightened expectations have caused “Twixt” to be the disappointment it has become because with what little I knew about the film when it was in production was so minor that I should not have expected so much.  I will say that by the time I had seen the first trailer for the film, my expectations had lowered considerably but I will not deny that I was massively disappointed in Francis Ford Coppola’s “Twixt”.

No comments:

Post a Comment